Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Innocence not yet Released

Pip -- as he was not yet fully released from his innocence of youth -- hadn’t a grasp of the things most important in life, the people to whom he owed eternal debt for giving him his essence, the ones who raised him with love, as we see by how he acted towards Magwitch when he wanted to go away to see Estella. “Next day I had the meanness to feign that I was under a binding promise to go down to Joe; but I was capable of almost any meanness towards Joe or his name. Provis was to be strictly careful while I was gone, and Herbert was to take the charge of him that I had taken.” In his alibi we see that he knew subconsciously what was really right -- to go visit the Joe, who always loved him and would care for him forever, who would be “sempre fidelis,” waiting with open arms for his prodigal son. Yet Pip did what he thought he should, and went to pour out his heart to Estella. If Pip could just break free of his naivetĂ© and for once return to his poor, good, receptive father, he could discover true happiness.

5 comments:

  1. I liked your response and vocabulary was well executed. I for some reason am not seeing how it realtes to the prompt. Maybe it just me though, but also maybe try to have more of a flow to your writing in a few places it seemed choppy. Nice job though

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really good response. However your sentence sturctures are so complex that it begins to be hard to comprehend. I think it's just because you use alot of large words that i have never heard of. Overall it's a well completed response.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The prompt was to pick a quote and write about it, and I did. I don't really see how it didn't relate. Could you elaborate?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jacob,
    I actually disagree with Pip being innocent. I think that he is just immature, as quite a large number of the charactors are in this novel, and that he dropped his innocence long ago, between his first visit to Ms. Havisham's house and when he got his "great expectations".

    Other than that, you had really good sentence structure and vocabulary, so it was a great response.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that his great expectations fed his innocence and immaturity. The unrealistic expectations he set were part of his innocence. As he progressed, his expectations became more down-to-earth. They never influenced who he really was; it was quite the oppposite.

    ReplyDelete